The Ancient Agora of Athens was the social, political and commercial hub of the city during Ancient Greece time. This “meeting place” is the best example when we refer to an ancient “Agora”.
The first excavations in the Agora area took place between 1859 and 1912. During the following years, important remains, including large sculptures, were found in a deep trench when the railway tracks were being installed.
Subsequently, 360 modern edifices were demolished to expose the whole Agora. When the entire area was excavated, the Stoa of Attalos, a large building constructed during the Hellenistic period, was rebuilt according to the original plans. Nowadays, it features the Ancient Agora Museum.
Ancient Agora Museum
The Ancient Agora Museum was founded in 1957 and housed in the Stoa of Attalos, a two-story rectangular building with a long sequence of columns. It was given to Athens by the King Attalus of Pergamon
Adrianou Street, to the west of Monastiraki.
Every day between 8am and 3pm.